- leather gloves (for protection when trimming hooves)
- exam gloves
- hoof trimmers (aka hoof rot shears)
- collar & leash (or lead rope)
- syringes with needles (I prefer the 20G 3/4 inch)
- syringes without needles for giving oral medications like dewormers
– 3cc syringes for young kids and 10cc syringes for adult goats
- hanging scale and sling or dairy goat weigh tape
- bucket or tote to keep supplies in
- B-complex injectable (injectable vitamin/mineral supplement, works MUCH faster than oral products)
- Nutri-Drech or Goat Ade (oral vitamin/mineral supplements)
- Ferrodex -100 (Iron) injectable (for immediate iron supplement in anemic goats. See FAMACHA page for signs of anemia)
- VetRx – for runny, crusty noses
- Coccidia treatment (several different options available, browse here)
- 2 dewormers from different classes (see Deworming page)
- Lice treatment (we use Ultra Boss which lasts longer than most other products)
Take note there are no antibiotics listed here. It’s rare for a goat to need antibiotics. Any antibiotics you use would surely expire before you would need them again. Too often people use antibiotics for goats who have a simple runny nose. Goats get cold viruses just like other animals. Also remember when giving antibiotics they must be given for a full 7 days or you’re just building up the goat’s resistance to that antibiotic.
Looking for a more detailed supply list for the serious goat owner? I’m currently working on a Breeding/Kidding supply list and will post the link here when it’s ready.
***Disclaimer: I am not a veterinarian. The information on this page is based on information gathered from long time goat breeders, veterinarians and our past experiences. This is not intended to replace professional veterinary and/or medical advice. We disclaim all liability in connection with the use of these products and/or information.
Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and bring you information free of charge. In order to do this, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in many (not all) cases I will receive a referral commission. Your support in purchasing through these links is much appreciated.